| Morris, MN | Posted February 28, 2017 |
Office of Development/External Relations
The University of Minnesota Morris is searching for an Associate Development Officer. This is a new position and an exciting opportunity to work in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment. UMM is a small public liberal arts college in the context of a major land-grant university system, with approximately 400 faculty and staff, 1700 undergraduate students and 20,000 alumni.
The Associate Development Officer (ADO) is responsible for building relationships with alumni, friends, and representatives of organizations and businesses to foster positive, long-term engagement with and philanthropic support for the University of Minnesota Morris. The ADO is responsible for the identification, cultivation and solicitation of gifts from research identified prospects. The ADO will qualify, cultivate and solicit individuals capable of making gifts of $1,000 – $25,000 with a goal of developing a strong pipeline of major gift donors. Additionally, this position will work as part of a development team to grow a base of committed donors, enrich UMM’s engagement with alumni and the public, and enhance the overall reputation of the institution through the stories of faculty recognition and research, student experiences, and alumni success. We are optimistic, team-oriented, and innovative.
1. Qualify and Identify Prospective Donors
• Partner with the prospect research department, supervisor, and development team to identify, contact and qualify individuals.
• Contact prospects, annual and lapsed donors via telephone, email or other methods, to secure face-to-face visits.
• Conduct qualification appointments, with an emphasis on identifying prospects with the financial capacity to make gifts of $1,000 – $25,000. Work with the supervisor and development staff to develop cultivation strategies. Additionally, solicit annual gifts when appropriate. Utilize a variety of gift vehicles including multi-year pledges.
2. Major Gifts Development
• Develop and implement strategies for each prospect, including ways to increase involvement in the activities of UMM and the University. Utilize a number of different strategies, including leadership annual giving, current and planned giving to develop a mutually beneficial philanthropic relationship with donors. Develop a portfolio.
• Make assessments to qualify prospects as current major gifts prospects ($50,000 or more) and collaborate with supervisor to refer prospects.
• Build relationships for UMM with donors and prospects, including with UMM Cougar Athletics donors, sponsors, and prospects, effectively presenting the case for philanthropic support of UMM and explaining gift opportunities
• Develop and coordinate proposals for major gifts within the portfolio and in collaboration on shared prospects with UMM Development Officers and other colleagues. Execute moves/actions steps on behalf of and in collaboration with colleagues.
• Clear and coordinate prospective donors with UM Foundation and University colleagues. Follow University of Minnesota Foundation’s procedures to ensure conflicts are avoided and the interests of the prospect or donor are met.
• Maintain accurate and relevant records within the University of Minnesota Foundation’s Donor Management System (DMS). Provide regular progress reports on prospect cultivation and solicitation, and promptly complete and file thorough reports in DMS of all contacts.
• Ensure the appropriate stewardship process is in place and executed for all donors within assigned portfolio.
• Complete associate development officer training as determined by supervisor, hitting benchmarks and progressive professional objectives.
• Participate in special projects, as assigned. Handle other duties and assignments as required.
• Attendance at occasional local evening and weekend events and occasional travel is expected.
• Bachelor’s degree required, and two years’ demonstrated ability to successfully solicit major gifts; or experience in marketing, sales, public relations, financial advisement or related field with emphasis on relationship cultivation and solicitation of individuals/businesses.
• Outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, including effective presentation skills. Ability to communicate clearly and succinctly through strong phone, email and written communications.
• Strong commitment to the mission of UMM and a small public liberal arts college as part of a major land-grant university system.
• Sensitivity to cultural diversity and ability to communicate and interact effectively with people of diverse academic, socio-economic, gender, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds.
• Two (2) years of experience conducting face-to-face appointments with an emphasis on building a portfolio of donors or clients and closing gifts or completing a sales cycle.
• Self-motivated, self-directed and highly organized individual who will be a professional ambassador for UMM.
• Advanced coursework or graduate degree
• Knowledge of planned giving programs.
American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Requirements:
Office environment including standing and sitting at desk, use of PC, occasional lifting of approximately 10 lbs.
Background Check Requirement:
Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background check. A satisfactory background check is the absence of a criminal record which bears a demonstrable relationship to the applicant/employee’s suitability to perform the required duties and responsibilities of the position.
For a full list of qualifications, job duties, and instructions on how to apply, log on to the U of M Online Employment System at https://humanresources.umn.edu/jobs. Job Opening ID #315660. Applications accepted until position is filled with first review of applications on March 17, 2017. Contact UMM Human Resources with questions at 320-589-6024. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.